How Dentists Help Protect Smiles & Possibly Save Lives By Knowing Signs of Abuse & Working with Multi-Disciplinary Partners
by Dr. Frank Stechey
November 10, 2020
Learn how the unique knowledge base of dentistry can be useful in daily patient & practice evaluations to help protect not just your patients’ teeth & smiles, but their lives and/or family lifestyles, by knowing:
• the individual & practice scope, role & responsibility in both criminal & civil
• how & why teeth can be important in forensic investigations;
• importance of asking the right questions in regular & daily dental record-keeping;
• why few dentists know their legal & mandated roles & responsibility; what is the “Child, Youth & Family Services Act” (CYFSA)
• ramifications to dentists when not abiding by these mandates;
• how to recognize accidental compared to suspected abusive injuries in patients of all ages;
• how & when to release your patient records to the proper authorities;
• who are the “proper authorities”?
Please note: Actual cases of forensic incidents and victim abuse will be highlighted.
Attendee discretion is strongly advised due to mature content and graphic material of this topic.
• Understand the importance of basic dental knowledge in forensics;
• Understand a dentist’s specific role in working with multi-disciplinary partners such as: police, children's aid society workers, fire & other judicial agencies;
• Understand mandated regulations under the Child, Youth & Family Services Act (CYFSA) 2017;
• Recognition of key signs / symptoms of suspected abuse on patients of all ages;
• What is a dentist’s “Duty to Report”?
• Know how and where to report your suspicions.
Nov 10, 2020 01:00 PM in Eastern Time (US and Canada)